By Mary Baily Wieler, President, Museum Trustee Association
Did you ask yourself, “Why am I on this Board?”
At MTA, one of our most frequently asked questions from both Directors and Board Members is “How can I successfully keep my Board Members engaged?” A well-run board meeting is the best chance to prove that you’re not wasting your board members time.
Here are 10 Tips culled from MTA members & forum panelists to help you hold successful board meetings that motivate members to come back again and again.
1. Quality over Quantity: Make Your Meeting Count!
2. Make the Most of Your Board Packets
3. Who is around the table?
4. Meet Your Board Where They Are
5. Use Your Consent Agenda
6. Hold a Social Event Before or After the Meeting
7. Switch Up The Location
8. Board Education Can Showcase Museum Talent.
9. Devote the Majority of the Meeting to Governing.
10. Communicate with Your Board Between Meetings
- Ram Charan, Dennis, Carey, and Michael Useem, Boards that Lead. Harvard Business Review Press, Boston, MA. 2014.
- William R. Mott, Super Boards: How Inspired Governance Transforms Your Organization. Dan Wright Publisher Services, 2014.
- Schindlinger, Dottie. “How to Hold the Greatest Board Meeting. Ever.” Board Effect. Published February 7, 2016. Available at: http://www.boardeffect.com/blog/how-to-hold-the-greatest-board-meeting-ever